Buying a dash cam is a great idea for many drivers. You will get the peace of mind knowing that you have video evidence in case of an accident that is not your fault. This can help you save hundreds or thousands of dollars in increased insurance costs.
A dash cam is also helpful in cases of vandalism, hit and runs and road rage incidents. Also they can help if your car is damaged by a tire, rim or some other object that is flung off a truck or other vehicle to show the insurance adjuster what caused the damage to your car.
10 Of The Best Selling Dash Cams
- 【1080P FULL HD DASH CAM】Simultaneous recording with Super High Resolution 1080P FHD Lens, and 3" large LCD Screen deliver clearer videos&images and replay the key moment even when high speed driving.
- 【170° SUPER WIDE ANGLE】This car driving recorder employs 170°super wide angle lens. Ultra-wide field of view reduces the blind spots and captures more details, to reserve the real scene.
- 【BUILT IN G-SENSOR】With built-in G-sensor, apeman dashboard camera can automatically detect a sudden shake/collision and lock the footage to prevent the video from being overwritten even in loop recording. Accident scene can be truly restored.
- 【1080P Dash Camera For Cars】Featuring Full HD 1080P definition and 170°super wide lens, Campark DC01 dash cam provides you with realistic and detailed picture quality, with 3'' large IPS screen allows you to record and replay the key moments anywhere
- 【Super Night/Day Vision】 This dash cam for cars combine the function of Big aperture, WDR (Wide Dynamic Range), and 6 glass fixed-focus ensures to capture an ultra crystal clear video even driving on the night, improve the safety of driving at night
- 【Loop Recording - Record Longer Time】 Turn on "loop recording", Campark car camera would automatically overwrite the previous recordings with new files except for locked files when the memory card is full, It supports 32 GB memory maximally (Not Include)
- FULL HD DISCREET DESIGN DASH CAM: Signature low-profile design allows the V1 to be a well-hidden witness to the road ahead. Sony STARVIS image sensor captures beautiful Full-HD 1080p video @ 30fps.
- 170 DEGREE ULTRA WIDE ANGLE LENS & WIDE DYNAMIC RANGE: The 6 layer glass lens opens up to capture a sweeping view of your surroundings. The superior WDR technology allows the camera to perform optimally in any lighting situation by adjusting the exposure to create balanced images and footage.
- SUPERCAPACITOR & PARKING MONITOR: The dash cam uses a supercapacitor which can withstand extreme temperatures from -20 to 176°F, that prevents the risk of overheating, extends the life span and reliability of the camera. With the parking monitor feature, the dash camera will automatically turn on and record when the car camera detects vibration OR dash cam will capture frames for a time lapse video for 24/7. Please connect the smart hardwire kit to activate the parking mode.
- 【Dash Cam Front and Rear】This dual dash cam equipped with 1080P resolution front camera and waterproof rear camera.The car dashcam with 6 pcs IR LED and Wide Dynamic Range, the front camera captures the license plates and road signs clearly even at night, thus ensuring to get you the best footage. Wide-angle front (170°) and rear（130°）camera help eliminate the blind spots of your vision.
- 【Loop Recording & Emergency Accident Locks】: Seamless loop recording overwrites the old footage with new content when the card is full. Variable sensitivity G-Sensor automatically detects a sudden collision and immediately saves the relevant footage and locks it to SOS file. Thus preventing any overwriting and thereby protecting your video evidence. Keep you away from driving disputes. This dashboard camera supports up to 32GB of micro SD card (card not included in package). Warm tips: Please
- 【Dash Cams with Parking Mode】 : The dash cams automatically powers on and starts recording as soon as impact is detected, thus providing you a video evidence if your car is scratched by someone in parking. Hence ensuring your peace of mind with complete 24x7 monitoring of your car.We suggest some important function settings for your daily using: G-Sensor level choose" low" , or turn off; loop recording choose "3 minutes"; motion detection choose "off" ; parking monitor choose "On".
- 【1080P FRONT AND REAR DUAL CAMERA】 1080P full HD resolution, 4" IPS screen can shows clearer videos&images.170°super wide-angle front camera and 120°rear camera monitors all roads,view surroundings when driving in reverse or parking. reduces the blind spots,reserve the real scene.
- 【GREAT NIGHT VISION & WDR TECH】With F1.8 aperture and WDR tech,the dash camera has an excellent performance at night recording. It can easily capture the clear and accurate color's images even in low-light environments without auxiliary light source.
- 【MOTION DETECTION & LOOP RECORDING】 Motion activated parking mode makes the dual cameras automatically record when it detects motion in front of your car. Automatically overwrite the oldest files to save new files when the micro SD card is full.
- Low-profile 'stealth' dash cam sits unnoticed behind your rear view mirror, ready to back you up in the event of any incident on the road. Sony Exmor Sensor captures everything in super-sharp full 1080p resolution with super-wide 170° field of view and maintains strong performance in low-light conditions for nighttime driving. Captures video (with optional in-car audio) and stills
- Emergency Recording Mode, activated by built-in gravity sensor, automatically captures unexpected driving incidents and protects them against being overwritten. Time-Lapse Recording creates a time-lapse video of your journey. Connect to the AUKEY GM-32 GPS Antenna (available separately) to embed precise location & speed data for fascinating trip tracking on free third-party software and greater protection
- Easily and securely mount to your windshield in seconds with the included double-sided 3M pads. Even easier to remove if you don't want to leave it mounted after your drive - just unplug the power cable and instantly unclip the dash cam from the mount
- 4K ULTRA HD RECORDING - The Rove R2-4k dash camera can record videos up to a resolution of 2160p. The ultra hd video recording quality is so good that you will notice much more clarity and quality difference than all other car dash cams. Revolutionary Super Night Vision Technology (Ultra-low light Sensor NT96660 + OV4689) helps to get comparatively clearer footage and images from the recording in low light condition
- BUILT-IN WiFi - Use the ROVE App to view and manage dash cam recordings instantly on your iOS and android devices. By using the app you can download your recorded 4k videos directly to your smart phone and then easily share these on social media with friends and family
- DASH CAM WITH GPS - Built-in GPS accurately records your driving location and speed. View your driving route and tracker on google maps via Wi-Fi using the App or with our Car DV Player. We provide FREE Firmware Upgrade for this car camera
- 【Dual 1080P, Front [email protected] or 1080P 60fps】Best dash cam to record car interior picked by Wirecutter. Based on powerful Novatek NT96660 CPU, advanced Sony Exmor IMX323 sensor (inside car camera) and OV4689 (front car camera) sensor, the front and inside camera simultaneously capture the road front (170°) and inside passenger cabin (140°) in crystal details at dual 1920x1080P 30fps. Or utilize the front cam only to record front at [email protected] or [email protected] to capture license plates
- 【Infrared Night Vision w/Sony Sensor】The interior facing camera utilizes a Sony IMX323 sensor, 4 IR LED lights and f/2.0 aperture, which can handle low light conditions and ensures flawless video footage even when the passenger cabin is dark. F/1.8 6-glass lens front facing cam and unique HDR video system automatically balance the light and dark areas of the video.
- 【24 Hours Parking Mode & Auto LCD OFF & Audio】24 Hours Motion activated parking mode makes the dual car camera to automatically record when it detects motion. Auto start and record when the ignition sparks up. Auto LCD OFF timer ensure you won't be disturbed by another glowing rectangle on your windshield. Ideal for most climates: -4° to 158°F (-20° to 70°C). Excellent audio recording with built in microphone. Time lapse function automatically takes photos at specified intervals.
- 3 INCH LARGE LCD SCREEN CAR RECORDER - Combined with 1080P Full HD and 12MP resolution, this dash cam can provide insurance claims to prevent disputes. Super large screen shows the realtime image, helps you clearly see every details when playing back and brings better visual experience.
- BIG APERTURE AND WDR TECHNOLOGY - Combined with big aperture and wide dynamic range(WDR), you can get comparatively clearer footage and image at night. Car license plates can be easily seen in low light condition. The safety of driving at night will be improved a lot.
- BUILT-IN G-SENSOR CAR DASH CAMERA - With built-in G-sensor, this dash cam can automatically detect a sudden shake/collision and lock the footage to prevent the video from being overwritten even in loop recording. Accident scene can be truly restored.
- 【SONY SENSOR AND FULL HD 1080P】 With the SONY 2M CMOS Sensor, the dash cam can take high definition recording, vivid picture and excellent night vision. With 170° wide angle and 6G lens, car's nameplates as well as street signs can be clearly captured during day and night.
- 【2 IR NIGHT VISION LIGHTS AND HDR TECHNOLOGY】 With 2 infrared night vision lights, capture every smaller details which cannot be seen while driving at night. High dynamic range(HDR) enables CR700 restore the true colors of objects to the greatest extent.
- 【BUILT-IN G-SENSOR AND FILE PROTECTION】 Locking the current footage to prevent it from being overwritten when detecting a sudden shake/collision. You can also press power button to manually lock files during recording when there is an emergency.
Last update on 2019-10-09 at 07:33 PST/ Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Top New Dash Cams Compared
Last update on 2019-10-14 at 10:42 PST/ Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Due to the increase in popularity of these devices there are now hundreds of different models to choose from. They are available with some of the latest high tech features and come in many different sizes and styles. Prices range from well under $100 for a budget dash cam with the basic features to several hundred dollars for a premium model with all the bells and whistles.
Nice Features To Have
- 1080p resolution or higher – the higher the resolution the better the video image will be. We recommend at least at 1080p model as license plate numbers and other small details will be more identifiable. Some newer models are starting to offer ultra hd 4k resolution which is 2160p. Look for these models if you want the highest video resolution available.
- Low light sensor – Provides a clearer image at night and in low light situations such as parking garages.
- Wifi – Allows you to view your video footage on your smartphone or tablet without removing it or the memory card from your vehicle.
- Parking Mode – Protects your vehicle when parked. Uses motion detection to automatically capture video when either a person or object comes close to your vehicle.
- Dual Cameras – Many models offer front and rear cameras to record not just what is in front of you but behind as well. Helpful in cases of rear end accidents or collisions.
Types of Dash Cams
- Rear view mirror dash cams -These models replace your stock rear view mirror and have built in front facing cameras and sometimes a rear facing camera as well. These are perfect for those people who want to keep their vehicle looking stock and to be more discreet about having a dashboard camera installed.
- Window mounted dash cams – These attach to the front and sometimes rear windows with the use of suction cup or adhesive mounts. These are suited to drivers who may want to use the unit in more then one vehicle or are looking for the easiest installation.
Most dash cams are supplied with a cable that plugs in to your cars charging socket. Some people prefer to hard-wire their dash cam into their car’s electrical panel and hide the wires under the panels so that it has a more built-in look.
- Suction cup mount – Mounts on front windshield. Preferred method if ease of removing is important, such as if you need to move dash cam between different vehicles.
- Adhesive mount – Attaches to front windshield with use of adhesive tape and clips. This method provides a much more secure method of attachment then using a suction cup mount.
- Mirror mount – Mounts dash cam securely behind rear view mirror.
The descriptions, features and links to user reviews in the products contained on this website can help you find the perfect dash cam for your needs and budget. Always read the information carefully to ensure that the model has the features that you desire. Check the customer reviews to see which dash cams people prefer and stay away from those with poor reviews.