Buying a dash cam is a great idea for many drivers. You will get the peace of mind knowing that you have video evidence in case of an accident that is not your fault. This can help you save hundreds or thousands of dollars in increased insurance costs.
A dash cam is also helpful in cases of vandalism, hit and runs and road rage incidents. Also they can help if your car is damaged by a tire, rim or some other object that is flung off a truck or other vehicle to show the insurance adjuster what caused the damage to your car.
10 Of The Best Selling Dash Cams
- DISCREET DESIGN: Signature low-profile design allows the V1 to be a well-hidden witness to the road ahead.
- FULL-HD RECORDING: Sony Exmor IMX323 image sensor captures beautiful Full-HD 1080p video @ 30fps. WIDE DYNAMIC RANGE allows the camera to perform optimally in any lighting situation by adjusting the exposure to create balanced images and footage.
- 170 DEGREE ULTRA WIDE ANGLE LENS: The 6 layers glass lens opens up to capture a sweeping view of your surroundings.
- 【Dual 1080P Dash Camera with Audio For Uber Lyft Taxi】Best dual dash cam to record inside and outside picked by Wirecutter. Based on powerful Novatek NT96660 CPU, Sony Exmor IMX323 sensor (inside car camera) and OV4689 (front car camera) image sensor, the dual dash cam simultaneously captures road front (170°) and inside cabin (140°) in crystal details at dual 1920x1080P 30fps. Or utilize the front cam only to record front at [email protected] or [email protected], capturing license plates clear.
- 【Infrared Night Vision w/Sony Sensor】The interior facing camera utilizes a Sony IMX323 sensor, 4 IR LED lights and f/2.0 aperture, which can handle low light conditions and ensures flawless video footage even when the passenger cabin is dark. F/1.8 6-glass lens front facing cam and unique HDR video system automatically balance the light and dark areas of the video.
- 【24 hours Parking Mode & Microphone & Auto LCD OFF】24 Hours Motion activated parking mode makes the dual car camera to auto record once the front or inside camera detects motion. Auto start and record when the ignition sparks up. Auto LCD OFF timer ensure you won't be disturbed by another glowing rectangle on your windshield. Ideal for most climates: -4° to 158°F (-20° to 70°C). Excellent audio recording with built in microphone. Time lapse function auto takes photos at specified intervals.
- Clear Video Capture: The DR01 backs you up in any road incident. Sony Exmor Sensor captures super-sharp 1080p video (and optional in-car audio) with 170° field of view and also performs well for nighttime driving
- Emergency Recording & Loop Recording: Emergency Recording automatically captures unexpected driving incidents and protects the recordings. Loop Recording allows continuous use by writing over old, unneeded footage.
- Extreme Temperature Operation: Powered by the included dual-port USB car charger and internal supercapacitor. The supercapacitor has greater heat & cold endurance and longer lifetime than standard battery technology
- DISCREET DESIGN: A well hidden witness that captures all events encountered on the road.
- DUAL-CHANNEL RECORDING: Record from two separate perspectives by connecting the included REAR CAMERA to the front camera.
- FULL-HD RECORDING: Front camera captures Full-HD 1080p video @ 30fps. WIDE DYNAMIC RANGE allows the camera to perform optimally in any lighting situation by adjusting the exposure to create balanced images and footage.
- Low-profile 'stealth' dash cam sits unnoticed behind your rear view mirror, ready to back you up in the event of any incident on the road. Sony Exmor Sensor captures everything in super-sharp full 1080p resolution with super-wide 170° field of view and maintains strong performance in low-light conditions for nighttime driving. Captures video (with optional in-car audio) and stills
- Emergency Recording Mode, activated by built-in gravity sensor, automatically captures unexpected driving incidents and protects them against being overwritten. Time-Lapse Recording creates a time-lapse video of your journey. Connect to the AUKEY GM-32 GPS Antenna (available separately) to embed precise location & speed data for fascinating trip tracking on free third-party software and greater protection
- Easily and securely mount to your windshield in seconds with the included double-sided 3M pads. Even easier to remove if you don't want to leave it mounted after your drive - just unplug the power cable and instantly unclip the dash cam from the mount
- DISCREET DESIGN: Signature low-profile design allows the V1LG to be your well-hidden personal witness.
- HD DUAL CHANNEL RECORDING: Captures 1080p HD video @ 30fps with front camera. WIDE DYNAMIC RANGE allows the camera to perform optimally in low-light situations by carefully fine-tuning the exposure. HD REAR CAMERA records in 720p @ 30fps, giving you clear, high-definition video of both ends of the road.
- BUILT-IN GPS: Internal GPS Logger allows you to mark time, date, location, and speed information to all your recordings without the need for a separate accessory.
- SONY SENSOR AND FULL HD 1080P - With the SONY 2M CMOS Sensor, the dash cam can take high definition recording, vivid picture and excellent night vision. Car's nameplates as well as street signs can be clearly captured during day and night.
- 170°WIDE ANGLE AND 6G LENS- With 6 glass fixed-focus ultra-wide lens of 170°, you can record more detailed and clear views. For example, you can record 4 lanes of traffic. With 6 glass lens, the dash cam can record more clear and better scenery.
- 2 IR NIGHT VISION LIGHTS AND WDR TECHNOLOGY -With 2 infrared night vision lights, capture every smaller details which cannot be seen while driving at night. Wide dynamic range(WDR) is able to restore the true colors of objects to the greatest extent.
- CRYSTAL-CLEAR RECORDINGS: Advanced Sony Exmor sensor, wide-angle lense, and Nighthawk Vision technology capture 4 lanes of traffic in Full HD 1080P - even at night.
- INSTANT VIDEO ACCESS: Use the ROAV app to download, manage, and view DashCam's recordings directly on your mobile devices.
- MOTION-ACTIVATED: Gravity sensor activates the camera if your car is bumped or moved to automatically record hit-and-runs.
- 【7 Inch IPS Touch Screen & 1080P FHD Recording】 Simultaneous recording in Full HD 1080P front view video recording and 480P waterproof rear cam, ensuring you get the best footage all day and night. 7 Inch IPS touch screen provides a wide visual angle which makes it clearer to view video laterally.
- 【Reversing Camera Kit for Safe Parking】Connect the red wire from the rear camera to power positive wire of back up light, the image of rear camera with 4pcs night vision lights will automatically switch over the full view and trigger guide line for safe parking when the reverse gear engaged.
- 【One-Key Switching Design】Based on one-key switching design, it is convenient for you to switch the five view modes from full screen display of front/rear view or picture-picture display. Turning off the screen display, it can be used as a regular rear view mirror.
- ULTRA-HD RECORDING: Capture video up to a resolution of 2160p @ 24fps. WIDE DYNAMIC RANGE allows the camera to perform optimally in any lighting situation by adjusting the exposure to create a balanced image.
- WIFI CONNECT: View, save, and share dash cam recordings wirelessly on your mobile device using the dash cam's WiFi function.
- DISCREET DESIGN: Signature low-profile design allows the V1 to be a well-hidden witness to the road ahead. 170 DEGREE ULTRA WIDE ANGLE LENS opens up to capture a sweeping view of its surroundings.
Last update on 2018-09-12 at 22:13 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Top New Dash Cams Compared
Last update on 2018-09-01 at 17:43 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Due to the increase in popularity of these devices there are now hundreds of different models to choose from. They are available with some of the latest high tech features and come in many different sizes and styles. Prices range from well under $100 for a budget dash cam with the basic features to several hundred dollars for a premium model with all the bells and whistles.
Nice Features To Have
- 1080p resolution or higher – the higher the resolution the better the video image will be. We recommend at least at 1080p model as license plate numbers and other small details will be more identifiable. Some newer models are starting to offer ultra hd 4k resolution which is 2160p. Look for these models if you want the highest video resolution available.
- Low light sensor – Provides a clearer image at night and in low light situations such as parking garages.
- Wifi – Allows you to view your video footage on your smartphone or tablet without removing it or the memory card from your vehicle.
- Parking Mode – Protects your vehicle when parked. Uses motion detection to automatically capture video when either a person or object comes close to your vehicle.
- Dual Cameras – Many models offer front and rear cameras to record not just what is in front of you but behind as well. Helpful in cases of rear end accidents or collisions.
Types of Dash Cams
- Rear view mirror dash cams -These models replace your stock rear view mirror and have built in front facing cameras and sometimes a rear facing camera as well. These are perfect for those people who want to keep their vehicle looking stock and to be more discreet about having a dashboard camera installed.
- Window mounted dash cams – These attach to the front and sometimes rear windows with the use of suction cup or adhesive mounts. These are suited to drivers who may want to use the unit in more then one vehicle or are looking for the easiest installation.
Most dash cams are supplied with a cable that plugs in to your cars charging socket. Some people prefer to hard-wire their dash cam into their car’s electrical panel and hide the wires under the panels so that it has a more built-in look.
- Suction cup mount – Mounts on front windshield. Preferred method if ease of removing is important, such as if you need to move dash cam between different vehicles.
- Adhesive mount – Attaches to front windshield with use of adhesive tape and clips. This method provides a much more secure method of attachment then using a suction cup mount.
- Mirror mount – Mounts dash cam securely behind rear view mirror.
The descriptions, features and links to user reviews in the products contained on this website can help you find the perfect dash cam for your needs and budget. Always read the information carefully to ensure that the model has the features that you desire. Check the customer reviews to see which dash cams people prefer and stay away from those with poor reviews.